More than 20 easy sewing projects for kids, to keep them busy, entertained and learning. Sewing with your kids is fun and creates a sense of togetherness. Besides, you get to make cool stuff. If your kids want to learn how to sew, have a look at these ideas!
Sewing is one of the best hobbies kids could pick up, in my opinion. Not only it teaches patience and perseverance, but it also helps them build self-confidence and develop fine motor skills and creative thinking.
My favorite sewing projects for kids
I made the list below with my 10-year-old daughter in mind, so these are basically my favorite kids’ sewing projects. Moreover, some of the projects featured here are already kid-tested.
Many of them can be done with minimal supervision, but that certainly depends on the age of the child and his skills.
You’ll find here a list of easy projects that kids will love to sew, from scrunchies and small pouches to easy skirts, headbands, toys, and even dog bandanas.
I noticed kids love to make cute little things not only for them but also for their brothers, sisters, friends, or their pets. They already know giving is as important as receiving.
It’s important to start with something simple that requires hand stitches, and then tackle some more complicated projects on the sewing machine.
If your kid is little and new to sewing, help her get started and gently guide her through the project, step-by-step.
I think doll clothes are a great way to start sewing. If you have an American Girl doll, take a look at this impressive collection of sewing patterns for 18-inch dolls and get inspired.
So, if you’re looking for a fun project to sew with your kids, have a look at these ideas.
Easy and fun sewing projects for kids
1. Little doll sleeping bag tutorial from See Kate Sew
2. Free teddy bear pattern from Shiny Happy World
3. DIY kids pouch from My Poppet Makes
4. Scrunchies from I Can Sew This
5. T-shirt to skirt from Simple Simon and Co
6. Soft & colorful ball from Sew Toy
7. Easy-to-sew kid’s apron from Sarennedy
8. Drawstring bag for kids from Little Worlds Big Adventures
9. Easy fabric flowers from Red Ted Art
10. Easy fabric bookmarks from I Can Sew This
11. Knit bow headband from Sew Not Perfect
12. Knotted headband – free pattern & tutorial from I Can Sew This
13. Stuffed snake – pattern and tutorial from DIY by Anna Craft
14. Free cat sewing pattern – felt pocket kitty from Swoodson Says
15. Reversible fabric headband tutorial from Alice and Lois
16. Bow hair tie – free pattern from Oliver and S
17. Simple, reversible fabric crown with a free pattern from Made by Jack’s Mum
18. Cute pencil case from Crazy Little Projects
19. Free dog/cat bandana pattern from Made for mermaids
20. Glove animal – Glovosaurs tutorial from Cucicucicoo
21. Toy Sleeping Bag from Melanie Ham
22. Simple tote bag from Mollie Makes
I hope you enjoyed this collection of 20+ easy sewing projects for kids!